The pre-Romanesque column of the church of Santa Maria in Manresa (tenth century); today it is in the Museu Històric de la Seu, the History Museum, and can be visited on Sundays from 12h to 14h.

Of all the pre-Romanesque constructions erected at Puigcardener, due to being destroyed, and modifications undergone by the settlement, today there are no remains. The only remain conserved is a column (“capitell”) in the Museu Històric de la Seu, almost certainly coming from the old church of Santa Maria in Manresa, consecrated by the Bishop Jordi of Vic in the presence of the Count Sunyer during the first half on the tenth century. The exact date was between the years 914 and 947.

The Romanesque galleries of the Canonic Church in Manresa (eleventh century) inside la Seu. Can be visited on Sundays from 12h to 14h.

Within la Seu, forming part of the rooms of the Canonic monastery, next to the church, there are remains of the galleries. The upper one is like a cloister portal, and the lower ones were west facing and towards the light of midday. In the context of the architectural structure, and also taking into account the composition of the column bases and ornaments, it is logical to date them back to the first half of the eleventh century.

Remains of the Romanesque church of Santa Maria in Manresa (twelfth century) embedded in the walls of la Seu building today. It is necessary to enter through the cloister basement, going through the Basilica. It can be visited on Sundays from 12h to 14h.

When the gothic temple was constructed some elements of the Romanesque church erected in the second half of the twelfth century were taken advantage of. Today they are integrated into the northern wall and part of the belfry of the actual building. Although these remains are minimal in relation to the complete temple, if we add the foundations which have been explored, in reality these remains are very significant as they allow us to make out the layout and create a quite reliable reconstruction of the church.

Romanesque portal of la Seu (twelfth century) next to the northern portal, the actual gothic church of Santa Maria in front of the parc de la Seu.

This is the most interesting element of the old Romanesque church which has been preserved. In the past it was known as the Abadia (abbey), and today, in the light of its situation it is known as “portal dels Claustres” (portal of the cloisters).
This portal is associated with the church builders of Sant Cugat del Vallès, represented by Arnau Cadell, who is considered to be the architect. Chronologically it has to date back to the end of the twelfth century.

The Christ of Manresa (twelfth century). Next to the Museu de Tresors de la Seu. It is opened on the request of the visitor. You have to ask at the Basilica reception.

It is a coloured sculpture of Jesus Christ, suffering, holy and dead, as is evidenced by his fallen head and hanging body in contrast with his arms stretched out. The body of the crucifixion is covered with a white and blue striped sheet.

The Portal of Santa Clara in Manresa (twelfth century) in carrer Nou de Santa Clara, 62

The structure of this portal is completely Romanesque and its origins have to be linked to the chapel of Sant Blai, in the parish records since 1292 due to the first legacies made by this chapel. Later Sant Llàtzer became a co-patron saint. It is believed it was built between the end of the thirteenth century and the beginning of the fourteenth century in the light of the features of the columns and their incipient gothic forms.

The church of Santa Maria in Viladordis (tenth to thirteenth century) in the neighbourhood of Viladordis, about 2 kilometres east from Manresa (opening hours from 8h to 20h Tel. 93 874 13 01)

The settlement of Viladordis is mentioned from 970 A.D. onwards, it appearing alternatively in the archives with the name of Vilamajor (982), as also happens with the name of the church, which is on record from 1020 A.D. onwards, until the name of Viladordis established itself.
The building is basically a Romanesque construction made up of a rectangular nave with a semi-circular apse to the east and a double monolithic stained glass window in the centre. The ceiling of the nave is arched, reinforced by toral arches, while the apse is protected by a quarter-arched roof.



The old bridge, El Pont Vell (twelfth century, thirteenth and twentieth). A bridge built over the river Cardener at the entrance into Manresa on the road in from Barcelona, in the shadow of the Cova buildings.

The characteristics of the bridge are medieval, and it is known as the old bridge to differentiate it from the new bridge built in the fourteenth century. This bridge, as can be seen from its current structure, is a complex creation, the product of being destroyed and rebuilt many times, all of which added up to make it what it is today. The fact that it was declared a national heritage monument in 1931 did not prevent it from being destroyed by the Republican forces on 24 January  1939, which made it necessary to radically restore it in the years 1960 to 1962.  Its shape is like a donkey’s back, in the Romanesque architectural style with eight arches, the two largest in the centre and then becoming smaller as the bridge runs down to both sides of the river.
Many historians have considered the bridge’s origins to be Roman, based on the remains of the left of centre arch, river downside, and the foundations attributed to a bridge erected in the second half of the tenth century.
The reconstruction was carried out under the General Board of Architecture, with a project led by Pons i Sorolla, who was also responsible for reconstructing a cross next to the bridge.

La Sèquia canal (fourteenth century) is 26 kilometres long and runs from the village of Balsareny to Manresa transporting water from the river Llobregat (If the visitor goes to the centre for visitors in the Parc de la Sèquia, inside the Parc de l’Agulla in Manresa they will receive more information).

The sèquia is a canal that begins in Balsareny and before it reaches Manresa flows through the fields and country of Sallent, Santpedor and Sant Fruitós de Bages. The change of altitude over all its length of 26 kilometres is 10 metres, counting from the lock next to Balsareny castle until l’Agulla, where it divides into two branches which then become the principal source of irrigation for the fields around the town and municipal region. The canal was a project by Guillem de Catà, from Barcelona, presented to the king Pere el Cerimoniós, who granted the permit for construction on 23 August the very year it was requested. The work was finished by the year 1383.

*Note: all visits for which it is necessary to enter into the Basilica of la Seu have to be made within the opening hours of the parish, Monday to Friday from 9,30h to 13,30h and from 16h to 19,45h. Saturdays from 9,30h to 14h and from 16h to 20h. Sundays and Bank Holidays from 9,30h to 14h and from 17h to 20h


Portal de Santa Clara de Manresa


Església de Santa Maria de Viladordis


El Pont Vell a Manresa