The Castle of Calders
A little over two kilometres away from Calders, on the other side of the deep river course, the remains of the castle tower over forests, fields and vineyards. It can be found by reaching the top of a 469m high conical hill, once surrounded by a meander of the river, which later changed its course. There remains the half-ruined tower, some important remains of walls and a structure identified as the old chapel of Santa Maria del Castell. Not only is it worth climbing the hill to see these evocative remains but also to contemplate the wonderful view. Towards the west, the Calders river winds lazily, tracing meanders, and flowing on towards the industrial lands of the Bages region.
Sant Vicenç de Calders Church
Dating from the 10th century, it was renovated in the 15th century. It features some Romanesque elements and other interesting details in the interior. An important extension was carried out in the 17th century.
The Romanesque Heritage in Santa Maria d’Oló
The municipality of Oló is scattered with Romanesque style churches and chapels. Sant Feliuet de Terrassola (927), restored in 1970, made up of two naves with two apses and a tower which serves as a bell tower, is one of the most outstanding. Close to the Armenteres country house there are the ruins of the Sant Joan Vell church (1081) abandoned in 1643, when a new church was built in the flat area of the town.
Sant Vicenç de Vilarassau (1134) is situated close to the country house of the same name. It has a single-nave structure with an apse decorated with Lombard arcading and a beautiful bell gable. It preserves some remains of Romanesque paintings. It was restored in 1990.
Sant Jaume de Vilanova, is a small church dating from the 11th century, one of the few churches with a circular ground plan which still survive. The chapels of Sant Miquel d’Oló and Santa Creu de la Plana, dating from the 12th and 13th centuries and no longer worship places, are other examples.